The Role of a School Counselor
1. Counselor: individual, group and crisis intervention
- Individual Counseling: Parents, teachers, child study team staff and administrators may refer a student for individual counseling; also a student may self refer.
- Group Counseling: These meetings may consist of activities and discussions aimed at such topics as: school adjustment; strengthening self-confidence; divorce/separation and restructured families; grief/bereavement; anger management; and improving peer relationships.
2. Teacher: We teach developmental guidance lessons in the classroom. Lessons are derived from a written curriculum and focus on a variety of topics including: peer pressure; confilct resolution; career awareness; communication skills; and cyberbully prevention.
3. Consultant: We work with staff, parents, community resources and outside agencies.
4. Coordinator: Integrating school and community resources
5. Manager: Planning, implementing and evaluating the counseling program